Friday, December 5, 2008

New Hacker Hardware

(And that's hacker as in "guy who likes to tinker with things", not "moron who attacks websites"... we're taking it back!)

So there's some sweet new hardware on the block from iobridge, the idea being to web-enable your project. (You do have a project, don't you?) Looks like it can work with sensors (light, temperature, moisture), control various outputs (servos, motors, remote controls) and feed the output to a variety of different front ends (website, blog, twitter, email).

My takeaway is that it's one more building block in the toolkit, and a novel one at that. Yes, I could slap an Ethernet shield on an Arduino and put it on a network, but... if the iobridge is going to solve all of the networking issues (around/through any firewalls or other impediments) and make the data available on the Web, not just on a network (I don't have to own the server, I don't have to program the interface, I just drag and drop the widget), and if I don't have to code the protocols into the Arduino...

The way I see it, the iobridge complements the Arduino... let the Arduino do what it does well (logic, smarts, hardware control, etc) and let the iobridge deal with the interface to the world.

Seems to me the iobridge could be a big help for "hardware geeks"... I'll build complex robotics all day, but ask me to open a TCP socket and I start to twitch. I can't be the only one...

Long story short, I can't wait to get my hands on one!

(P.S. Bonus points for anyone catching the movie reference)

No comments: