Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Death of Quality?

Normally Jay and I are fairly in sync. However, I just can't agree with this one.

Jay works hard to earn a living. He spends some of that hard-earned cash on things like webhosting, storage space, and a spiffy new iPhone. When these devices/services fail, Jay takes it in stride with Zen-like calm, and even comments:

"The important realization is that everyone and everything disappoints in some way… this is life after all. We’re usually lucky in that failures are rarely life threatening or permanent."

What's more, Jay dutifully shoulders the burden of working to resolve the issues:

"It’s rough, but manageable. It just means time working through various support queues."

Is this what the world has come to? Are we destined to forever more accept not only cheap build quality, sloppy coding, and shoddy quality assurance, but also poor customer service?

Don't get me wrong... I don't expect every product or service I shell out money for to be perfect right out of the gate. This is the real world after all... mistakes happen. Products have problems, software has bugs, services have glitches. I get that. But there's a difference between being mentally prepared to deal with setbacks & issues and lowering the bar to the point where said issues are par for the course and nobody is held accountable.

I sell for a living. The products I sell are rarely perfect from Day One. That doesn't mean I don't hurt every time a customer calls me with a problem.

That doesn't mean I've learned to accept that "there are always issues... get over it". I don't.

I work hard every day to provide my customers with a quality product and a quality experience. When that goes wrong, I don't sleep well at night. I know Jay feels the same way. While the results may vary, the goal must always be excellence. Anything less and we're selling ourselves, our companies, and our customers short. Is it wrong to expect the same from the companies we do business with in our personal lives?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brad,
I actually 100% agree with you, it sucks and shouldn't happen. Especially in the case of Dreamhost (that's a long story in and of itself).

Really my thoughts are more along the line that I can't let it ruin me or make me throw an expensive piece of EQ in the trash (well in the case of that HD it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do, Buy.com sucks!).

However, I'm sure there's a famous quote about how we can't change others only change how we perceive the world.

Something like that, though sometimes I'm sure I need a little more "NewYorker" in me so I could get some reward for doing these companies jobs.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.